Most Active Stories
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
Tue August 28, 2012
Grand Jury Will Investigate Bolger, Schmidt Over Party Switch
The Ingham County Circuit Court has empanelled a one-judge grand jury to look into allegations of illegal activities surrounding the party switch of state Representative Roy Schmidt to the Republicans.
A court employee says the court determined there is probable cause that there some kind of illegal activity on the part of Schmidt or state House Speaker Jase Bolger, who helped engineer the party switch and recruit a fake Democrat to appear on the ballot. An investigation by the Kent County prosecutor found no evidence of illegal activity, but did forward the case to the Secretary of State to investigate possible campaign finance violations. Ingham County Circuit Judge Rosemary Aquilina was chosen in a blind draw to lead the inquiry.