Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Tue September 22, 2009
GM Will Add Third Shift at Delta Township Plant
By Kevin Lavery, WKAR News
LANSING, MI – Assembly line workers in Lansing say they're excited by the news that General Motors will add a third shift to its Delta Township plant. GM will move production of the Chevy Traverse to Lansing in January. The automaker plans to bring on about 800 workers for the third shift no later than April.
Brian Fredline, president of Lansing UAW Local 602, says he hopes to have all Delta Township plant workers back on the job
"This will not create any new hiring opportunities for new hires, but it will recall our laid-off workers and may even extend into other surrounding communities," he said.
Currently, the Chevy Traverse is built in Spring Hill, Tennessee. GM plans to idle operations there in November.