Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu April 16, 2009
GM preparing to make official bond exchange offer
Detroit, MI – Detroit, MI (AP)
General Motors Corp. says its preparing to launch a public bond-exchange offer that would let the company start slashing its debt, even without an agreement from a committee of large institutional bondholders.
The Detroit automaker has been working on a plan to wipe out
most of its $28 billion unsecured debt by June 1 to avoid
GM spokeswoman Julie Gibson said Thursday that the only way to reach the company's thousands of bondholders before the government deadline is to formally offer a debt exchange and see who accepts it.
She declined to reveal any details about the terms of the offer.
Some of GM's largest bondholders formed a committee to negotiate a debt exchange with the company.
But they haven't met with the company since March, and its unclear if they will have any say in GM's offer.