Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Fri February 26, 2010
Gambling expansion proposals target Mich. ballot
LANSING, MI –
Two proposals that would expand gambling in Michigan have had preliminary reviews by a state elections board.
The Board of State Canvassers approved the form of petitions for the groups at a Friday meeting. Sponsors of each of the efforts still would have to gather more than 300,000 voter signatures in order to qualify for the November ballot.
A group called "Michigan Is Yours" backs a proposal that would authorize casinos in Benton Harbor, Detroit, Flint, Lansing, Muskegon and Romulus. The proposal would include a casino at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.
A group called "Racing to Save Michigan" has a separate proposal that would permit up to eight new casinos, five of which would be at Michigan horse racing tracks.