Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Wed July 1, 2009
Galarraga, Polanco lead Tigers past A's 5-3
OAKLAND, CA – Armando Galarraga pitched two-hit ball into the seventh inning, and Placido Polanco homered and drove in three runs in the Detroit Tigers' 5-3 victory over the Oakland
Athletics on Tuesday night.
Ryan Raburn went 3 for 3 with a run-scoring single for the AL Central-leading Tigers, who have won nine of their last 12 games.
Detroit also has been helped by a resurgence from Galarraga (5-7), who has won two straight starts after losing a career-worst seven consecutive decisions since late April. Other than six walks, he had little trouble against the light-hitting A's over 6 1-3 innings.
Mark Ellis hit a two-run homer off Detroit closer Fernando Rodney in the ninth, but the A's have lost six of seven.