Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Tue October 9, 2012
Fun for All at the Teddy Bear Picnic!
WKAR was pleased to join in the fun at the Teddy Bear Hospital and Picnic, sponsored by the Department of Pediatrics and Human Development on October 6.
Children came carrying their teddy bears and other stuffies to be stitched up by medical students. The idea behind the annual event is to make going to the doctor a little less scary for youngsters.
WKAR's Susi Elkins emceed the event, which included booths from throughout the MSU campus. In addition to "visiting the doctors" and picking up information on health and nutrition from various participants, families also enjoyed an appearance by the MSU Women's Basketball team and coach Suzy Merchant and the Spartan Pompon Team.
"WKAR's mission includes a strong focus on both education and children," says Elkins. "It makes great sense for us to be part of a campus-wide effort that includes both. And that aside, it was lots of fun!"
WKAR's Education Services department provides workshops and information to families to help young children become ready to learn, along with parenting and media literacy tips. For more information about WKAR Education Services, email email@example.com.