In Michigan
4:45 pm
Mon December 19, 2011

Fire guts Lansing nonprofit's office, store

LANSING, MI –

Lansing officials are working with St. Vincent de Paul after a weekend fire gutted the charitable organization's local thrift store and office.

The Lansing State Journal reports Monday that the Sunday morning blaze destroyed the building's contents, including furniture and household goods for those in need.

Authorities believe the fire in the city's REO Town district was accidental and started in a room used to store and refinish furniture.

Lansing's director of human relations and community services says the fire comes at a difficult time with the upcoming holidays.

Joan Jackson Johnson says St. Vincent provides emergency assistance faster than any nonprofit in the area.

Officials are looking for space in city-owned buildings for a temporary office, store and warehouse.