Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
Tue September 22, 2009
Ex-Spartan Burress gets 2 years in gun case
NEW YORK – Former Super Bowl star Plaxico Burress has been sentenced to two years in prison
after accidentally shooting himself in the thigh at a nightclub and later reaching a plea deal on weapons charges.
The former New York Giants wide receiver and Michigan State University player was sentenced Tuesday in Manhattan's state Supreme Court. He will be supervised for two
years after his release.
Burress pleaded guilty last month to attempted criminal possession of a weapon. He expects to begin serving time immediately and says he hopes to return to football.
Burress was at a New York City nightclub last November when a gun tucked into his waistband slipped down his leg and fired.
Former teammate Antonio Pierce, who drove Burress to the hospital, was not indicted.