Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu July 2, 2009
Dumars says he wants new coach by next Tuesday
AUBURN HILLS, MI – Detroit Pistons executive Joe Dumars says he wants to name a replacement for fired coach Michael Curry in time for next week's developmental league opening in Las Vegas.
The Pistons' president for basketball operations announced Curry's dismissal Tuesday. The first-year coach led the Pistons to a 39-43 regular-season record and a four-straight-game loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the opening round of the NBA playoffs.
In a video on the Pistons' Web site, Dumars says Detroit needs a more experienced coach as it moves to integrate new players with remaining veterans.
He says he doesn't have "a complete list" of candidates yet but hopes to act before the team heads for Las Vegas on Tuesday. The NBA Summer League runs July 10-19.