Most Active Stories
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
Mon August 17, 2009
Detroit school safety topic of roundtable event
DETROIT – Detroit's mayor and the emergency financial manager of the city's public school district plan to hear from experts, residents and parents about school safety and security.
A roundtable discussion with Mayor Dave Bing and Robert Bobb is planned for Monday afternoon at Cass Technical High School. They're seeking suggestions about safety and security policy in the district.
Recent shootings have raised questions about Detroit Public Schools safety. Five summer school students were among seven teenagers shot June 30 as they waited at a west-side bus stop. Another student was shot June 18 near Denby High School.
Two non-students were shot in February inside Central High School. One student was killed and two others wounded in October outside Henry Ford High School.