Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Tue May 26, 2009
Customs station opens at Lansing airport
By Kevin Lavery, WKAR News
(East Lansing, MI) – (East Lansing, MI) - WKAR News
Lansing civic and business leaders are hailing the opening of the new federal customs and inspection station at the Capital Region International Airport. The airport is helping to develop a foreign trade zone made up of area companies. It's hoped that Lansing will expand its role as a regional cargo hub to ship goods across the U-S and overseas.
Jean Lodge is an agent with Stevens Worldwide Van Lines. She says her company will operate a customs warehouse near the airport: "So our facility is going to be able to take in the items that come here and need to be stored until they can be dispersed to the clients. We hope that's it's going to be too small of an area in a week! So, if we can do that and build a new warehouse, it would just be the ultimate."
The facility is designed to process 200 international passengers an hour.