Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Wed August 19, 2009
Community-built playground opens in Lansing
By Mark Bashore, WKAR News
EAST LANSING, MI – Area schoolchildren and Mayor Virg Bernero have opened what officials say is Lansing's first community-built playground. About 50 volunteers created the site in about a half-day last Saturday, erecting play equipment and seating in Burchard Park near the Grand River south of Old Town.
Brittany Hoskiew is with the Old Town Commercial Association. She hopes the playground will attract more families to the district:
"It's going to do a lot of things for us," she said. "It's going to bring another demographic, another fold of people in, to experience our community."
City park millage revenue and a grant from the Capital Area Community Foundation paid for the $34,000 project.