Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Mon March 12, 2012
Classical Roots - Detroit Symphony Orchestra
Friday, March 16, 10:35am
Detroit Symphony Orchestra
André Raphel, conductor; Brazeal Dennard Chorale, chorus; Augustus O. Hill, director; Janice Chandler-Eteme, soprano
This season's Classical Roots concert features a new work by Haitian-American composer and violinist Daniel Bernard Roumain. His "Dancers, Dreamers, & Presidents", commissioned for this concert, is the latest statement of this imaginative young master. The DSO rounds out this annual tribute to the contributions of African-American composers and musicians with a 1961 string serenade by the late Hale Smith and William Dawson's exquisite Negro Folk Symphony, composed for Leopold Stokowski in 1934.
This DSO live webcast is a production of Detroit Public TV.