Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu May 28, 2009
Cabrera, Polanco homer to help Tigers beat KC 8-3
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Rookie Rick Porcello won his fifth straight start, Placido Polanco homered and drove in three runs and the Detroit Tigers beat the slumping Kansas City Royals 8-3.
The Tigers took two of three from the Royals, losing only to Zack Greinke, and increased their lead over KC in the AL Central to four games. The Royals, after a promising April and early May, have lost 13 of 18.
Porcello (6-3) allowed two runs and four hits in six innings. The 20-year-old right-hander lost three of his first four major league starts. But he's won his last five with an ERA of 1.50. In 30 innings against Minnesota, Cleveland, Oakland, Colorado and Kansas City, he's allowed five runs and struck out 20.