Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu October 1, 2009
Bonine, Ordonez help Tigers beat Twins 7-2
DETROIT – Magglio Ordonez hit a three-run double and the Detroit Tigers beat the Minnesota Twins 7-2 on Wednesday night to move closer to the AL Central title.
Eddie Bonine pitched five effective innings after getting off to a rough start for Detroit, which can clinch its first division title since 1987 by beating Minnesota again in Thursday afternoon's series finale.
Ordonez's second key hit in consecutive days broke it open in the fifth. The Tigers loaded the bases with one out against Carl Pavano (13-12), who responded by getting Miguel Cabrera to pop out. Ordonez followed with a drive to center to clear the bases and give the Tigers a 7-2 lead.
Ordonez also had a two-run double in the Tigers' 6-5 victory Tuesday night.