Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
Mon April 1, 2013
Bill Would Ban Minors From Tanning Beds
As spring arrives, many teens in Michigan are hitting tanning salons. State Representative Jim Townsend wants that to stop.
“Tanning beds and cigarettes have a lot more in common than you’d think," Townsend says. "They both cause cancer and we shouldn’t be allowing kids under the age of 18 to have access to either one.”
Townsend has sponsored a bill that would require tanning salons in the state to check IDs and turn away minors. Michigan already requires tanning salon customers to sign informed consent forms.
Townsend hopes his bill gets a hearing after the Legislature returns from its spring break next week.