Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Wed May 16, 2012
Bernero Drops Plan to Consolidate Police Ops
Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero says he is temporarily dropping a plan to consolidate city police operations in a single location.
In a statement, the Mayor says “new budget troubles” mean the city currently can’t afford the move.
He proposes that funding earmarked for the project be used to cover the costs of retaining 11 police officers whose salaries are currently paid for by a federal grant.
Recent financial projections suggest Lansing officials face a combination of higher costs and declining revenue.