Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu May 21, 2009
Bernero calls for trade reforms to ensure green energy jobs
By Mark Bashore, WKAR News
East Lansing, MI – East Lansing, MI (WKAR News)
Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero says a new federal aid package for auto worker retraining should be joined to trade reforms to keep jobs in the U.S.
Bernero says Lansing is sure to receive some of the additional $50 million in federal green job retraining funds announced Thursday. But he says it's important that those jobs are created and stay in the U.S.: "So unless we get a commitment to fair trade over free trade, then the green jobs can go overseas just as easily as the greasy jobs went."
Bernero says there are too many tariffs and other barriers to American goods overseas.