Most Active Stories
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
Thu August 13, 2009
Beckett controls Tigers in Boston's win
BOSTON – Josh Beckett pitched seven strong innings for his major league-high 14th win, Mike Lowell and Jason Bay homered and the Boston Red Sox beat the Detroit Tigers 8-2 Wednesday night.
The Red Sox won their third in a row and sent AL Central-leading Detroit to its fourth loss in five games. Boston has won seven straight against the Tigers.
There wasn't any carry-over from Tuesday night's bench-clearing brawl that began when Red Sox star Kevin Youkilis was hit by a pitch from Rick Porcello and charged the mound. Both players were suspended five games - Porcello appealed the penalty, Youkilis didn't.
Beckett (14-4) gave up two runs on three hits, including homers by Carlos Guillen and Marcus Thames.