Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Medical Marijuana Activists Cheer As Dispensaries, “Medibles” Bills Clear House Panel
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Wed January 20, 2010
Backstrom, Steckel rally Caps past Red Wings
WASHINGTON – Nicklas Backstrom and David Steckel scored 46 seconds apart late in the third period, rallying the Washington Capitals past the Detroit Red Wings 3-2 Tuesday night for their fourth straight victory.
Backstrom erased a 2-1 Red Wings lead by taking Alex Ovechkin's pass and skating by Brad Stuart in the left circle before beating Chris Osgood from close range on a power play with 6:45 left. Steckel's fourth goal, a deflection of Alexander Semin's shot, put Washington ahead less than a minute later.
Matt Bradley also scored and Jose Theodore made 44 saves for the Capitals, who have won seven of eight overall.
Dan Cleary and Brian Rafalski scored for the Red Wings, who have dropped three straight. Detroit outshot Washington 46-23.