Most Active Stories
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
Mon June 1, 2009
AP Sources: GM to keep headquarters in Detroit
WASHINGTON (AP) –
WASHINGTON (AP) - Congressional officials briefed on General Motors Corp.'s plans say the automaker intends to announce plans to maintain its headquarters in Detroit.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak publicly in advance of an announcement.
President Barack Obama planned to announce his support for GM today as it enters bankruptcy protection. GM President and CEO Fritz Henderson was holding a news conference in New York following Obama's address.
Last week, a suburban Detroit mayor delivered proposals to lure GM's headquarters from downtown Detroit's Renaissance Center to the automaker's Warren Tech Center, about 20 miles northeast.
Detroit's mayor and the leader of Wayne County countered with an offer aimed at keeping the headquarters in Detroit.