Most Active Stories
- Michigan legislators join national push for Constitutional Convention
- A hunt gone wrong: One man's story of survival in the Alaskan wilderness
- DOWNTON ABBEY Special Preview Screening!
- Book Review: Mitch Albom's 'The First Phone Call from Heaven'
- WATCH NOW: East Lansing boys basketball coach Steve Finamore
Thu April 23, 2009
Anonymous donor gives MSU $10 million
By Scott Pohl, WKAR Radio News
East Lansing, MI – Scott Pohl, WKAR Radio News
Michigan State University has received an anonymous $10 million gift.
$7 million will be used for scholarships and financial aid, with a goal of assisting female and minority students. Three-million-dollars is unrestricted.
MSU vice president for university advancement Robert Groves says president Lou Anna Simon will be careful in allocating those unrestricted funds.
The donation is the single largest anonymous individual contribution ever received by the university.
M-S-U has been assured by the financial institution handling the funds that the money comes from legal sources.
At least 12 universities around the country have recently received huge, anonymous donations.
There's been speculation that what they have in common is female presidents.
It's unclear if the MSU contribution came from the same donor.