Most Active Stories
Thu August 20, 2009
900 female inmates claim sex abuse by male staff
ANN ARBOR, MI – More than 900 current or former female inmates have filed claims for a piece of a $100 million settlement with the state resolving claims that prisoners were sexually
assaulted by male corrections staff.
A judge on Thursday gave final approval to the settlement in Ann Arbor after preliminarily signing off last month.
It was previously thought up to 500 women could qualify for the settlement. But an attorney told the judge that more women came forward when the class-action settlement was announced.
The judge's order approving the settlement came despite complaints from some ex-prisoners who said outside the courtroom that they did not have a say. The women say the settlement is unfair because they will get less than what a jury said they